Thursday, March 11, 2010

2 years old

Fun in the bath!


Ainsley celebrated her second birthday last month. It is very hard to believe that I have a 2 year old! We have been battling lots of illnesses recently- a bad flu like virus in early February and the stomach flu in late February. Yuck! Between work, Ainsley and illness I have been really busy - hence, the lack of updates and pictures. I will try to do better in the next few months.

Ainsley is an amazing little girl. She is growing up so quickly! She talks really well and picks up on everything you do and say. She loves to read and be read to, she loves to play hide and seek, and she loves to draw. Her favorite books right now are Blueberries for Sal and Cinderella. At her 2 year visit, she was 37 inches tall and weighed 30 pounds. Tall and thin!

We had a birthday party for her that included family and some close friends- we wanted to keep it a little small as it will likely be the last year for a small get together. We had to reschedule her her party due to illness, but still had a good turnout. We did a Finding Nemo theme because he is one of Ainsley's favorite characters.







Our friend Kristen

A family friend made these cookies- they looked awesome and tasted even better!!! Ainsley still asks for Nemo cookies.

Enjoying the pizza with big cousin Samantha



Eyeing the cake! She did not really enjoy us singing Happy Birthday, but she didn't cry and she blew out the candle on her own!





Enjoying the cake.





Our friend Sarah

Unfortunately, we are starting to experience the "terrible twos." Ainsley has started having some tantrums when she does not get her way and "tests" the water in a few different ways every day. I have started using counting to get her to listen/respond and time outs for when she is bad. It works ok but many days are still frustrating and very long with a screaming child.

All the illnesses have affected Ainsley's overall demeanor some too- she has been very quiet and snuggly for the past several weeks. We initially thought it was her recovering from the stomach flu, but then decided it was her 2 year molars. She has one erupted and is still working on the other 3. This means more sleepless nights for her and Mom. She has always slept poorly when she is teething- BUMMER! Right before the last illness and teething- she was sleeping great- 8:30 pm to 7:30 am, the latest she had ever slept. I am hoping to get back to that soon.

Ainsley has started going to a Children's Gym- she has class once a week and there are many "free" times to play too. She loves jumping on the trampolene and is starting to get used to the structure of the class. I hope she will get more and more comfortable with the class, students and teachers. She is really shy with new adults when she is not at home.
She still sleeps in her crib and has not made any attempts to climb out. I am thinking of moving her to a big girl bed- hoping that the softer mattress may be more comfortable and may lead to better sleep at night ( for both of us!). I may try her in our spare bedroom one of these nights to see how it goes.... I will let you know!

Mommy's little helper:


Ainsley loves to help with anything that we are doing. Nannie got us matching aprons for Christmas!

2 comments:

The Laukkanen's said...

Aren't tantrums fun?! Remember me crying at work when Suvi was only 14 mos old? I will say she is better, still has some but I think i am getting numb to them! My advice-keep her in a crib as long as possible-when they can easily get out of bed they can take forever to get to go to sleep-they keep sneaking out. One night I found Markku sleeping on the stairs! It was good to get an update, I miss you lots! We should get together soon to catch up and maybe have the kids play...

Vetmommy said...

Happy 2nd Birthday, Ainsley! I can't believe she is so big. Great update!