Sunday, September 23, 2007

Babies R Us

Well, Dan and I registered this weekend. It was really fun to spend an afternoon looking at baby stuff. We decided we wanted to spend a relaxing afternoon registering and it would be best to do before moving into our new house. Our registry is available online for your viewing pleasure. Any Mom's out there are welcome to give advice on what else I need and what I don't. Actually, if anyone wants to take a trip during lunch sometime, we can tweak things a bit, I did have some questions...

Which diaper brand is best?
Do you need a bottle sterilizer?
What medicines are best to have on hand?
Do you need a baby bjorn or the equivalent?
Do the ear thermometers work well in babies?
Do you have to use Dreft detergent?
Do you need a sleep positioner?
Do you need a humidifier?

We have a lot of the big stuff from Dan's sister- carseats, highchair, pack n play, and strollers- so don't worry that I skipped the major stuff.

I bought a bedding set on ebay this weekend too! I got a lavender/white and gold dragonfly bedding set. It is really nice- it comes with 9 pieces, so there will be a lot of matching stuff for the room. So much for not wanting a girly color, huh? Well, it isn't pink. Dan and I had our choices narrowed down to the dragonflies- either in sage and yellow or the lavender. We both preferred the lavender. I plan to paint the room a nice yellow/gold color and I may still add some sage- will have to see how it looks.

Registering for stuff was an adventure- Dan doesn't want a lot of "crap" occupying the house. He was hesitant to register for lots of things initially. He told me one towel was enough, since I got a 2 pack of hooded towels as a gift. I told him he wasn't any fun, he responded, "I was waiting for you to say that." He reconsidered the towels, and let me pick other things, but we didn't register for an "entertainment" unit yet. I think he doesn't quite understand, our house Will be a disaster zone at times, right? Our orderly house may be ending for a while...Of course, we did have lots of fun and we registered for a fair amount of fun and cute stuff.

Now, the hunt for bedroom furniture really begins since we will finally have a place to put it!

The house is mostly done, but there are lots of little finishing touches they need to do. They started the a/c this weekend, put up mirrors and the glass for our shower. Now they have to finish staining our front door, get the gas meter connected and on, and touch up the walls where I place my little pieces of tape...there are quite a few pieces of tape already ( I did them today). We were there for a few hours today, it is starting to feel like our home, I can't wait to move in!

Things have been going really well at my in-laws. Last night, Val made Canneloni and tiramisu- fabulous! I could get used to having fancy meals every night.

3 comments:

Joey said...

Naturally, I have my opinion of answers to all of your questions. I also have a lot of pictures of baby items in "like new" condition (including a fantastic entertainment center) that you may be interested in. I'll get all that to you soon.

Vetmommy said...

I'd say NO to the bottle sterilizer (we used the dishwasher), Dreft detergent (we never used after Anth read about it being a waste of $$$), and we never did get a humidifier. I'd say yes to the Baby Bjorn (although I used it way more with #2), plenty of towels and entertaining toys. Oh, and yes, your house will, in the least, have disaster zones full of bright plastic crap.

We started with Pampers but ended up loving the Costco brand diapers - just as good, IMHO, and the cheapest (by the diaper)in town. Costco wipes, too!

Dana said...

I've never had a baby, but it seems to me that a baby needs more than two towels. They are kinda messy, you know? Dan needs to start getting used to the fact now....there's going to be crap around the house.