Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Special Delivery

Yesterday someone at work asked me why I chose not to specialize. It was an interesting question. When I was in school, I did think about doing an internship and then a residency, but it was a pretty brief thought. I did not want to have to move to wherever I "matched" for an internship, then for a residency. I did not want to have that terrible work schedule that interns and new residents get- long hours, on call all the time, terrible pay, etc. But, more than anything, I was very excited about all of the different things I would do as a general practitioner. I wanted to do surgery, dentals, cardiology, dermatology ( well, maybe not so much derm...), internal medicine, oncology, and healthy pet care. I enjoy the variety of things that I get to see and do- and I really enjoy the challenges that I face. More than anything, I enjoy puppy and kitty visits! How many specialists do you know that get to regularly see cute and healthy babies? At the end of the day yesterday, I also got to practice being an OBGYN. I delivered a pug puppy! The Mom had 5 puppies at home, 3 died. The owners were not home when she delivered and found her and the puppies and brought them to me. There was one more puppy that needed to be delivered. Luckily, Mom did it on her own and we did not have to stay late for a C section! It has been a while since I delivered a puppy and it was a great feeling to see that adorable, tiny little baby come into the world!

3 comments:

Leah said...

Nothing like new beginnings. I think that has to be one of my favorite type of appts. So much to inform the clients and such little time.

Vetmommy said...

I remember my first boss saying that, too; how it's so great that we have so much variety in our day. As much as I love dentistry and surgery, it would be tiring physically and mentally if that was all I ever did. It is great to be a GP who isn't burned out!

Maureen said...

I really appreciated your perspective.