Friday, December 21, 2007

Making good use of Insomnia

As tired as I am, I am waking up around 3:30- 4 am each day and unable to go back to sleep. I usually lay in bed or on the couch trying to rest, but sleep is usually impossible. Well, this morning, I was trying to sleep and unable to so I decided to get up and go to HEB to do my holiday grocery shopping. I really hate going to the store and fighting the mobs of people, so I thought I would beat the crowds. It was wonderful- the store was very empty- except for staff restocking and managers walking around. There was probably 4-5 staff members per customer. I found everything I needed in record time. At checkout, the store manager unloaded my cart for me. After everything was bagged and ready to go, they asked if I would like help out to the car. I almost always say no- thinking there are other people who could use the help more than me. But, the last time I did the grocery shopping, it was tiring. Load the cart- unload the cart- load the car- unload the car- carry bags into house-unload the bags in house. It is getting harder for me to bend and even though the items were mostly light, it adds up. So anyway, I said yes, I would like some help out. Well, the guy who helped me out was using a crutch- yes a crutch! He had a walking boot on his foot. I looked at him and asked if he was sure he could help me out- he said of course. I felt so guilty! Here is this guy, pushing my cart with one hand and hobbling on his crutch. I couldn't believe it. Oh well, it really did help me a lot not to have to do it myself.

It was my best holiday grocery shopping experience!

1 comment:

Vetmommy said...

It is so funny to imagine you shopping all alone at HEB in the early morning, and THEN having the injured guy give you a checkout!

When you're saddled with the baby and all the groceries, you'll take the checkout help, too!