Ainsley update:
Ainsley has taken several long naps in her bouncy chair this week- this has been a wonderful break for me. Of course, I should have used the time to nap myself, but I didn’t. I kept thinking – she could wake up at any time. Also, there were several things I really needed to do. For instance, I moved all my maternity clothes upstairs and found my regular clothes. Reorganizing the closet itself was a fair amount of work. I also did laundry and tidied up the house the first day. Yesterday, I did some gardening during her nap. It was a gorgeous day and I had some plants my mother in law gave me that I wanted to put in. I also bought some seeds so I put many of those in as well. It is my first time experimenting with seeds, so I hope I am not disappointed. I love black eyed susans and purple coneflowers but I can never seem to find plants at the stores so I got seeds.
Ainsley has been much happier in general but especially at night since I cut out my lunchtime caffeine fix. Previously, she was fairly cranky from late afternoon to late evening if she was awake. I thought it could be colic or something I was eating. I started adjusting things and decided to cut out caffeine. My doctor and the pediatrician said caffeine was fine in moderate amounts, so I was having a pick me up coke at lunch. Since stopping the caffeine, I think Ainsley has been happier at night. Hopefully she will continue to do well! It was really sad the past few weeks as she would start to really cry just about the time that Dan walked in the door.
I find myself staring at her all the time thinking how pretty she is and how amazing it is that we created a life! Her face is changing so much- her nose is developing and of course she is much chubbier. Today I was noticing how white her skin is except for her rosy red cheeks. Was I ever that pale? Her skin is also amazingly soft and smooth. She is really sweet and cuddly and I can’t wait for the next weeks to watch her develop more. I know that everyone says time passes too quickly, but I am anxious for her to get a little older so that we can interact more. Then, I will probably wish to stop time for a while.
Remi update:
I took Remi to see the veterinary surgeon yesterday for a consultation on the conformation of her vulva and her chronic urinary tract infections. I met with the surgeon and we talked for a while about the pros and cons of doing the surgery to remove excess skin and fat from around Remi’s vulva. The surgeon agreed that her vulva was pretty recessed (you were unable to see it at all when looking at her from behind). There was also some irritation and thickening to the tissue at the dorsal aspect of her vulva. Unfortunately, the surgeon did not feel there was a high percentage of chance that the surgery would prevent the recurrent UTIs. She said that since the UTIs were the same organism every time, it is more a resistant infection that recurrent. She said there was better chance of success with the UTIs being the result of differing organisms. However, I felt that since I have ruled out everything else as a possible cause of these horrible infections I needed to get the surgery done too. That way, I would know for sure that we have tried to find and eliminate every preexisting condition. The surgeon agreed and said she would do the surgery if it were her dog too. So, Remi had surgery yesterday and everything went really well. I picked her up last night and brought her home. It was very sad – she was wearing a huge e collar to prevent her from licking and she was whining. She kept trying to sit and scoot on her rear as the incision was bothering her. I picked up some doggie pants to put on her so that she could not hurt herself by dragging her rear. I put those on when we got home- then she was the picture of dejection with an e collar and doggie pants. She kept whining all night. Poor thing!
Of course, my sympathy ran low when she kept me up half the night. Initially she was pacing the house and hitting all kinds of things with the huge e collar. I took her outside at 2 am in the cold and walked around with her until she peed to be sure she didn’t have to use the restroom. Taking her outside is now a challenge as you have to remove the doggie pants and put her on a leash. After the trip outside, I put her on a leash in our room and she kept hitting things in there and whining. Between her and the baby, I hardly got any sleep. At 3:30 when I had only slept about 30 minutes, I woke Dan and had him take Remi upstairs to sleep with him in the guest room.
Look at that sad face.
Hopefully, the surgery will be a success in preventing future UTIs! They got a sample of urine yesterday the send out for culture, hopefully it will be negative!

We don’t really have any plans for the weekend. My sister and her husband are coming up for Easter but we plan to be low key and stay home. My mom is coming for the week next week so that will be fun.
Ainsley has taken several long naps in her bouncy chair this week- this has been a wonderful break for me. Of course, I should have used the time to nap myself, but I didn’t. I kept thinking – she could wake up at any time. Also, there were several things I really needed to do. For instance, I moved all my maternity clothes upstairs and found my regular clothes. Reorganizing the closet itself was a fair amount of work. I also did laundry and tidied up the house the first day. Yesterday, I did some gardening during her nap. It was a gorgeous day and I had some plants my mother in law gave me that I wanted to put in. I also bought some seeds so I put many of those in as well. It is my first time experimenting with seeds, so I hope I am not disappointed. I love black eyed susans and purple coneflowers but I can never seem to find plants at the stores so I got seeds.
Ainsley has been much happier in general but especially at night since I cut out my lunchtime caffeine fix. Previously, she was fairly cranky from late afternoon to late evening if she was awake. I thought it could be colic or something I was eating. I started adjusting things and decided to cut out caffeine. My doctor and the pediatrician said caffeine was fine in moderate amounts, so I was having a pick me up coke at lunch. Since stopping the caffeine, I think Ainsley has been happier at night. Hopefully she will continue to do well! It was really sad the past few weeks as she would start to really cry just about the time that Dan walked in the door.
I find myself staring at her all the time thinking how pretty she is and how amazing it is that we created a life! Her face is changing so much- her nose is developing and of course she is much chubbier. Today I was noticing how white her skin is except for her rosy red cheeks. Was I ever that pale? Her skin is also amazingly soft and smooth. She is really sweet and cuddly and I can’t wait for the next weeks to watch her develop more. I know that everyone says time passes too quickly, but I am anxious for her to get a little older so that we can interact more. Then, I will probably wish to stop time for a while.
Remi update:
I took Remi to see the veterinary surgeon yesterday for a consultation on the conformation of her vulva and her chronic urinary tract infections. I met with the surgeon and we talked for a while about the pros and cons of doing the surgery to remove excess skin and fat from around Remi’s vulva. The surgeon agreed that her vulva was pretty recessed (you were unable to see it at all when looking at her from behind). There was also some irritation and thickening to the tissue at the dorsal aspect of her vulva. Unfortunately, the surgeon did not feel there was a high percentage of chance that the surgery would prevent the recurrent UTIs. She said that since the UTIs were the same organism every time, it is more a resistant infection that recurrent. She said there was better chance of success with the UTIs being the result of differing organisms. However, I felt that since I have ruled out everything else as a possible cause of these horrible infections I needed to get the surgery done too. That way, I would know for sure that we have tried to find and eliminate every preexisting condition. The surgeon agreed and said she would do the surgery if it were her dog too. So, Remi had surgery yesterday and everything went really well. I picked her up last night and brought her home. It was very sad – she was wearing a huge e collar to prevent her from licking and she was whining. She kept trying to sit and scoot on her rear as the incision was bothering her. I picked up some doggie pants to put on her so that she could not hurt herself by dragging her rear. I put those on when we got home- then she was the picture of dejection with an e collar and doggie pants. She kept whining all night. Poor thing!
Of course, my sympathy ran low when she kept me up half the night. Initially she was pacing the house and hitting all kinds of things with the huge e collar. I took her outside at 2 am in the cold and walked around with her until she peed to be sure she didn’t have to use the restroom. Taking her outside is now a challenge as you have to remove the doggie pants and put her on a leash. After the trip outside, I put her on a leash in our room and she kept hitting things in there and whining. Between her and the baby, I hardly got any sleep. At 3:30 when I had only slept about 30 minutes, I woke Dan and had him take Remi upstairs to sleep with him in the guest room.
Hopefully, the surgery will be a success in preventing future UTIs! They got a sample of urine yesterday the send out for culture, hopefully it will be negative!
We don’t really have any plans for the weekend. My sister and her husband are coming up for Easter but we plan to be low key and stay home. My mom is coming for the week next week so that will be fun.
2 comments:
Get better soon, Remi!
Poor Remi!! She looks so sad and depressed. I hope she feels better.
Post a Comment