Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Invasion of the pillows

Recently, I have been having more and more trouble sleeping through the night. I wake up with hip/gluteal pain on whichever side I am laying on and nothing is really helping. I have spoken to both doctors about the issue and so far nothing has worked. I have so many pillows in the bed, it is kind of crazy. I have a nice body pillow, 2 pillows for my head, 1 pillow for back support, and at times I have had 2 other pillows under my legs/under me, etc. The bed gets pretty crowded with me, my belly, my pillows, Dan and Brie. Brie likes to lay on whichever pillow I am hugging, so she doesn't take up too much extra room.

Tylenol doesn't help. Exercise or no exercise does not really seem to make a difference. We have a very nice and comfortable bed that we got last year and I never had any trouble before, so I don't think that is the problem. I think I am going to get a pregnancy yoga video and see if some stretches help. Everything I read online suggests pillows for support-that is definitely not working.

This week seems to have been a little worse, I woke up Monday night at 2 am and really did not fall back asleep. I felt tired and irritable all day yesterday- sorry for those of you who worked with me. Last night was better- I woke up at 12 am and moved out to the couch with my body pillow. I slept really well until 5 when I woke up with THE WORST CHARLIE HORSE EVER in my left calf. It lasted for a couple of minutes, then when it finally started to go away, I moved my leg and it came back for another minute or so. It was excruciating. Remi heard me groaning and came out to investigate, she sat next to me until I got up- sweet. This morning, my leg hurt for the first few hours I was up and about, luckily it has finally relaxed.

Any wise women have advice for me?

Baby Brown has been doing great. I feel her moving even when I am active now, previously it was mostly when I was sitting and relaxed. She is really active periodically during the day ( she now has periods of being awake and sleeping). It has been really fun to feel her moving around- it actually makes me laugh sometimes because there is so much kicking! Last night Dan and I sat together for about an hour just feeling her move around. Pretty amazing.

5 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Yeah, sleep in the 3rd trimester is bad, especially with the micro bladder capacity! I got so many leg cramps when I was pregnant. Everyone said eat more potassium or calcium but I didn't notice a difference. Prenatal massage helped in general, but I felt like I needed a redo every 48 hours (instead of every 2 weeks, which is what I ended up doing).

The annoying thing everyone says is, "Enjoy sleep now! It's gone when the baby comes!" but truthfully, after the babies I slept much more soundly than before -- except for that being woken every few hours for feeding...

ColeBugsmommy said...

I had bad leg cramps too! Nothing much helped for me either. I tried to drink more water before bed, but that only made me pee more :-{ and I've already told you I slept on the couch the last few months. I did get better sleep on the couch than the bed, though. Good luck.

Dana said...

I've never been pregnant, so I don't really know, but--maybe drinking Gatorade instead of water will help with the leg cramps.

Joey said...

I guess I'm lucky. I never had leg cramps. But starting somewhere towards the end of my 2nd trimesters, I started having sleepless nights. There really is no solution to the hip pain. The best I could come up w/ was propping a regular-size pillow along my back so that I could lay on one side but leaning back a little (that took the weight off my hip some). Then I would prop a small pillow (or a pregnancy wedge...did I give you mine? If not, you can have it) under my belly. I guess it was kind of an obliqued lateral in radiology terms. I remember always thinking that waking up every 2 hrs in pain was just preparing me for the soon-to-come nursing schedule.

Leah said...

Okay...I have never been pregnant either..so the only advice I can give is: Drink a shot or three of tequila. I sleep really good after that. LOL (this is probably a good reason why I shoudn't get pregnant)

So really I can't give any advice in this area. Ask me about how to get a dog. That I can help you with.